Friday, December 10, 2004

Vertically Striped Scarf

Somebody asked on the Knitlist recently for a pattern for a vertically striped scarf. I had an idea which pleases me enough that I may actually shop the stash and see if I can find anything to knit it in.

There is a way of knitting fisherman's rib which comes out with the knit ribs in one colour and the purl, receding bits in another. If you turn it over, the same thing happens except that the colours are reversed. It's dead easy to do. I knit a sweater that way, back in the days 8 or 9 years ago when Colinette still did reasonable-sized, knittable yarns. I used a variegated DK of hers for the ribs, and a toning solid colour for the background and for the genuine, k1 p1 rib at wrist and waist. I love the sweater, but it pills dreadfully. I have been forbidden to wear it because my husband has tired of picking up pills all around the house.

As I understand it, a stitch pattern can't be copyright -- so here's how to do it:

Definitions

K1b -- Knit into the stitch below the stitch on the left-hand needle and slip both stitches off together.

P1b -- Purl into the stitch below the stitch on the left-hand needle and slip both stitches off together.

The stitch pattern

Work on a circular needle with two colours of yarn, A and B. Cast on an odd number of stitches

Row 1 (RS) With colour A, *P1, K1b, repeat from * to last stitch, P1. Do not turn.

Row 2 (RS) With B, purl

Row 3 (WS) With A, K1, *P1b, K1, repeat from * to end. Do not turn.

Row 4 (WS) With B, knit

That's it. Easy peasy. It would make a good scarf, I think, on largish needles to keep it soft and fluffy. One might make a fringe by hooking in tufts of the two yarns together.

I am writing this before taking the pictures of my old sweater, but I hope an illustration will soon appear above to give you the idea.

Meanwhile Mungo's sleeve progresses nicely. More of that tomorrow.

jean@jeanmile.demon.co.uk


No comments:

Post a Comment