Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Halfway through repeat #78 of the Princess Shawl edging -- 6 1/2 to go. And I've done 10 of 12 evenly-spaced increases on the first Wallaby sleeve. I may even finish it and get it attached today.

I'm suffering connectivity problems -- for the last few days, I can dial in to my ISP only slowly and with difficulty. When the connection is finally made, it is at an absurdly low speed. Something wrong with the modem? Demon doesn't report any problems on their webpage.

So it remains to be seen whether I will be able to squirt today's picture into the ether.

It finds us back in the Home Industries Tent. (If anyone were tired of hearing about the 2005 Strathardle Highland Gathering as it affected me, they would long since have ceased visiting this spot.) We didn't fare at all well in the children's sections. Out of four entries, there was only one prize: Mungo Drake got a third (in a large field) for his "junk rocket". That's him, if a picture is there at all, with it.

Lizzie Ogden took on the adults by entering a cake for the Jubilee Rosebowl, where a recipe is provided and everybody has to do the same thing. It would be interesting to have a knitting competition like that. Again there was a large field, and she didn't win. It was a good cake, though.

Non-Knit, Non-Games

My sister found herself cooling her heels yesterday in an interminable airport lounge, waiting for a flight to Washington. She amused herself at least in part by reading this Blog, but had difficulty reaching it through Google. She concluded that Google is country-specific, and that I'm not much read in Africa. Maybe. I wasn't sorry to hear it, though. My husband knows more than anybody else in the world, by quite a large margin, about a particular artist. Scholar friends have occasionally told us how startled they are, Google'ing on his name, to find themselves at my website, which begins with the words "You won't find much here except knitting and bland family news..."

Presumably others with whom we are less acqainted, have had the same experience.

That is why I never mention my husband by name in the blog. We don't want those people here.

No comments:

Post a Comment