Friday, February 02, 2007

Candlemas

We are really getting too old for London. I never felt so strongly tempted as yesterday to kneel down and kiss the platform in Waverley Station, Pope-John-Paul-II fashion.

We got around and saw some art, and I pressed firmly forward with the travel socks. There should be enough downtime during the Calcutta Cup match tomorrow, to let me finish them off.

Speaking of which, Franklin says in his latest post: “I've been asked -- nay, commanded -- to step away from the keyboard for a couple of days and get some profound rest. I expect to be back on Monday, full of piss 'n' vinegar.”

You know what this is, don’t you? A typical English ploy (on the part of whoever did the asking-nay-commanding) to deprive Scotland of his support. Two days before last year’s match, assured that Franklin was behind us, I wrote here: “Poor England. It hardly seems fair.”

The match starts at 4 pm GMT, which is 11 am on the Eastern Seaboard, I think. I expect many knitterly thoughts to be directed towards Twickenham at that time, to make up for the loss of Franklin. Scotland last won the Cup there in 1983. (We’ve done marginally better in the even-numbered years, in Edinburgh.)

Cats

Our daughter Rachel and her family, with whom we were staying, have a new kitten, named Pushkin. He had never seen knitting before, and was delighted at the opportunities it offered.

One evening early in our stay he disappeared, causing many tears. When he finally sauntered into view, I said, “Next time, it won’t be so stressful.” I was wrong – he did it again on Wednesday and the stress was intense. The cleaning woman had been in action that day and it was feared that she had let him out into the street. (She hid our return ticket, causing a mauvais quart d’heure the next morning.)

Lizzie designed this poster, with tears streaming down her face. I think she has a future in advertising. (Scanning has distorted it: the original is perfectly straight.)






I am happy to report that it was my husband and I, sitting quietly at the kitchen table while everybody else ran distractedly up and down stairs, who heard the little voice from behind the cellar door.

Knitting

VK was waiting when we got back, and in it I have learned about cashmere koigu.

Ron, that was a desperately sweet comment you left last time.

There’s much more to say, but I think I’ll leave it here for today.


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:53 AM

    Go Scotland!
    Superbowl knitting here- I'm also planning to finish some socks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back!

    We "lost" our childhood cat many years ago and after much desperate searching and tears, we'd given up on her.

    Three days later, one of us pulled out the divan drawer and there she was! Turns out she'd jumped into the drawer and then behind the drawer into the bed base. Happily she lived to a ripe old age in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous6:44 PM

    Never fear, I shall think good knitterly thoughts towards Twickenham.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite having no idea how the game is played, Go Scotland! Kitten's and their ability to play possum are phenomenal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:03 PM

    We have a cat named Bib, who loks just like Pushkin. Bib's brother disappeared last week, returning after three nail-biting days. We live in a forest, on the Niagara Escarpment. My DH is sure there are Nasty Animals - I can't bring myself to write their real identities, living deeper in the forest. City or country life can be equally scary for our feline companions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:14 AM

    Alas, the Calcutta Cup match did not go in Scotland's favour. While watching/listening to the match I faced up to the challenge of grafting. Enjoyed the match despite the result and am especially pleased to report that the grafting went well.

    As to the kitten - hooray for you to have heard her cry. Our cat of 20 years is no longer with us as of early December. I want to get another cat but am a bit reluctant as my husband is not as keen as I am.

    ReplyDelete