Tuesday, February 13, 2007

I saw a doctor, who seemed distinctly unimpressed with my feeble state, but prescribed a five-day course of penicillin. I felt very sprightly last night – placebo effect? getting better anyway? or Alexander Fleming in action? This morning, perhaps not quite the further increase in sprightliness that I might have hoped for.

Both doctor and pharmacy were very prompt, and I didn’t get much sock done. However, I’m more than half-way from heel to toe, so might even finish today.

Cashmere

Knititch, thanks for your comment. On reflection, I have knit in cashmere, this cardigan for my sister. Jaeger 4-ply, I think. And it doesn’t droop. The button bands roll inwards, though. I hate button bands in general but was so careful with those. However, that fault is almost certainly not to be blamed on the material. My sister has had bad trouble with gourmet moths, too.

A blog-reading cyber-friend is coming to Edinburgh next month, and has kindly agreed to carry in some cashmere Koigu. It's far too expensive to take the slightest change with customs duty. I'll order it today, enough for the Shapely Shawlette. Donice, it was fun to hear that you not only remember the pattern but are actually knitting it. Please report on progress from time to time.


Non-knit

On my re-structured website, I’m putting family pictures on the opening page. I used pure text the first time, for quick loading, but now that everybody’s got broadband I thought I might branch out. Yesterday my sister sent me this one, which I will add to the website soon. That’s her son, my nephew Theo, the prospective wearer of the prospective cashmere Koigu, on the left, and some politician or other, on the right.

My sister worked in Washington for the first Clinton administration, and has the highest regard for Hillary’s abilities. But she – my sister – seems as full of enthusiasm as the rest of us, for the new man. He could bring a genuine healing touch to a divided land. It will be interesting to see what happens. I haven’t felt so keen since Kennedy.

He must be very tall, to be taller than Theo.

7 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:50 PM

    Glad you have been to the doctor and are feeling better. Thanks for the picture of Theo along with the politician. Have you read the politician's latest book?

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh thank you. enjoy your blog and the thought of a self acclaimed very old knitter in edinburgh. i have to go there sometime. yes gourmet moths. what a curse. it is good to put your knittings in the freezer for a while after having washed them before putting them away for summer . pristinely (is that a word)clean woolen garments will not get eaten, i have heard, alas too late..... and on buying cashmere overseas i have had very much success with buying from sarahsyarns.com. she will tag your good as gifts.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are funny! A "politician" indeed!

    I have to say I have mixed feelings as I do admire Hillary and how she has gotten her act together in the last two years -whether by some shrewd adviser or not - I am very happy with how she is these days.

    Its a tough choice but I am afraid America (the conservative majority) is not ready yet for mr. BO. At this point HC has a better chance.

    it's going to be interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:36 PM

    I hope you feel better soon. I wonder if it's the same stuff that has been going around here in Santa Barbara. It has hit so many people.

    All I can say to the picture of Theo and the politician is 'wow'. I am so happy that we have not one good choice but two!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:45 PM

    If cashmere Koigu will help your nephew help get That Politician elected, I'll contribute some!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:46 PM

    Just thought I'd mention that I've knit three Shapely Shawlettes, one as a gift and two for myself. I don't find it a very exciting knit but it's ideal for showing off handpainted yarns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous5:55 AM

    Alas, I learned from experience that pristinely clean wool garments will still be attractive to gourmet critters. I do leave sweaters unguarded that I wear frequently, this winter, but normally I store all woolens in as securely sealed containers as I can manage.

    I hope you are well soon. A five day course doesn't seem long enough. Perhaps a written record of your symptoms, including temperature, would document improvements or lack of same, just
    in case you need to convince someone of something.

    ReplyDelete