Thursday, April 19, 2007

I’ve embarked on row 198 – a landmark, because when I’ve finished it, I’ll have done 90% of the Princess border.

The opening notes of the final movement have already sounded. Row 201 will be the next major landmark, when the top-of-border patterns are set in their place. And at some point, I’m pretty sure, between now and the end, I’ll finish a ball of yarn. That’s always an Event.

Sharon mentions that she used point protectors, and needed them, as her stitches were constantly trying to escape. Mine are singularly well-behaved. I try to be very careful, picking the work up, and I don’t think I’ve had a single escape-attempt yet. Sharon used a cotton yarn – I don’t think, at that stage, she had found the Italian-spun Gossamer Merino which she now sells under her own label, and which I’m using. And loving.

I sent for a trial ball of the cotton she recommended, but I don’t think I even cast it on. I did attempt almost half-a-repeat of the edging in a pure silk yarn which I had intended to use. Franklin drew a picture once of the result – I wish I had bookmarked it.

You would have to use one or other, I think, if you wanted a really stark white, as many brides do. The wool yarn is white, all right, but it looks like white wool. More Christening than wedding, perhaps.

Other

The only knit-related item in the pile of mail holding the door shut when we got back on Monday, was the autumn (!) edition of Yarn, the Australian knitting magazine. I like it more with every issue. This one has a concentration on drop-spindle spinning. I’m really tempted, if only there were more hours in a day or more days in a lifetime. There’s a good pattern for a top-down child’s sweater, with the thought that as the child elongates, you can easily add more stripes at the bottom. And I haven't finished reading.

Comments

Hellen, I love your work, and your web design. It is wonderful to think that I introduced you to the Baby Surprise – my colours were all due to Koigu, I think; no credit deserved.

Blocking the Princess – it’ll be too big for any ordinary frame, I fear; and I can’t do it in a Major Traffic Area just before we go somewhere, because the blocking will be a day’s work in itself. Maybe the spare room single beds, pushed together, will be big enough. I’d certainly be happier having it here. But as I said, it’s far from being an immediate problem.

Non-knit

We’ve decided on tomorrow for Strathardle. The weather has turned April-y, very welcome. Some of my potatoes have developed beyond chitting, in a sinister-looking fashion. I’ll be glad to have them safely in the ground. And to see our lambs.

1 comment:

  1. http://the-panopticon.blogspot.com/2006/03/journey-of-thousand-miles.html

    is that the one you meant, Jean?

    ReplyDelete