Sunday, July 22, 2007

It is embarrassing to have to admit it – I was knitting Sam’s horns wrongly.

An elementary error: I was reading lines like (K3, inc 1 as before, P1) 4x as if they read K3, (inc 1 as before, P1) 4x

The pattern involved short-rowing anyway, and the mistake didn’t affect the total number of stitches, since all the increases were there. I got a whole wrong horn knit and even stuffed, as reported yesterday.

Well, now I’ve done one right – you won’t be surprised to hear that once I corrected my mistake, the numbers at the ends of the lines (which I was grumbling about yesterday) made perfect sense. Much ripping out was still involved, even after the penny dropped. I hope the final horn this evening will be more straightforward.

Sam turned out to have a small hole remaining in his bottom, through which I pushed quite a bit more stuffing yesterday to his general improvement. In fact, I had to go out and buy some more. My friend Helen had offered to give me some, and I thought I didn’t need it. Now I’ll be right back where I started, with an unwanted nearly-full bag of stuffing in the stash cupboard.

My husband thinks Sam needs eyes. They’re optional in the pattern. I’ll think about it.

While I was in Lewis’s buying stuffing, I walked past a table piled high with the new Harry Potter book at £5 – yesterday was the day. That’s very cheap. No one was paying any attention.

VKB

We’ve had a lull lately, after that extraordinary passage in late February and early March when they were dropping off the trees. eBay still informs me, several times a week, of new listings, but there has been nothing of interest. I’m missing only 10 issues, seven from the 30’s and three war-time ones.

Well, one of them came up on American eBay yesterday, and I didn’t go for it. It’s the first time I’ve held back since I discovered eBay and this caper began.

It was the 8th issue, from 1936, in good condition. The bidding stood at $176.78 for much of the day. That’s £90 or so. I thought about it a lot, and if I had bid, I would have added only the minimum increment to that price, and I would have failed – it sold for $212.58.

Looking at the bidding history, I see that there were no fewer than four people (including of course the winner) prepared to pay more than I’ve ever paid for a VKB, and I’m a big spender in this class. It's a comfort, in a way. I've sometimes had a paranoid feeling that they were ganging up on me out there, forcing me up to my maximum bid out of sheer malice. Clearly not so.

Weather

Much of England is still flooded. My family is safe and well. What happened – to elaborate on yesterday’s story – is that Cathy found when she got to the station (Penzance? Bristol? Exeter?) that her train to London had been cancelled. Another was vaguely promised. That’s when she phoned Rachel and asked her to meet Alistair – probably not knowing that Rachel was actually at Heathrow. The later train turned up, so crowded that no one could move, and that’s how Cathy eventually got there.

And when Rachel finally got back to the Clapham Junction car park, around midnight, her car wasn’t clamped after all or even ticketed. They usually mete out punishment like Rhadamanthus there, but Friday was an extraordinary day

1 comment:

  1. Maybe the parking stazi hadn't been been told not to go to work because of injury risk? In andy case, I'm glad that punitive insult wasn't added to injury. Everything I've been told about Heathrow indicates that it's a joyless experience getting and being there as well as trying to get away.

    My sympathies over Sam's horns. There's nothing like reinterpreting instructions when tired or distracted. Shades of knitting my niece's matinee jacket!

    ReplyDelete