Monday, September 03, 2007

Crisp, clear September, with Edinburgh at unbelievable last free of the Festival. Next year I’ll make an effort. I want to go to the Mela in Pilrig Park, about which I’ve heard great things.

I have reached row 40 or so of the third Princess centre pattern repeat. I’m having a nice time, and if, as I expect, we don’t go to Strathardle this week, I should get a perfectly presentable amount done before it is again laid aside.

I did a bit more Ravelry. I am concentrating, at the moment, on a faithful recording of stash. Here’s a bit of it. Not much use to anyone but me. One of the great fun things about Ravelry is to be able to see what other people have done with a pattern one is interested in. Whereas stash just lies there. That's the cashmere Koigu, this year's addition, destined for a Shapely Shawlette. The Fireside Socks kit was acquired from Claudia at Countrywool at Camp Stitches in 1999. Maybe somebody would like them for Christmas.

I am greatly taken with my friend Selma’s “Koigu Jazz Cardigan” – no one else seems to have knit it yet – from Maie Landra’s book “Knits from a Painter’s Palette”. I’ve got a lot of Koigu – I’m not complaining – and it’s fun to think about it. If I were Edith Sitwell, I might well go for the jacket in the current, anniversary-issue, VK: I see you’ve got to send for the pattern. I hate that. The Jazz Cardigan would be more fun to knit, I think.

Maybe I’ll get the book.

I got a few of my books into Ravelry yesterday, but that section really is still in beta. You can only post a book that Ravelry already knows about – and that doesn’t even include all possible KF’s or Starmore’s, let alone the more recondite things in my extensive collection.

My sister and her husband will whiz through Edinburgh tonight, as Helen did on Saturday, on their way to an early flight to CT tomorrow. The last rose of summer. We have some picture-hanging projects up our sleeve for Roger…

4 comments:

  1. I'm keen on Selma's jazz cardigan too. In fact, on lots of her Koigu garments!
    But I quite like the idea of being edith Sitwell. Though I think I'm too short, I do have a decent sized nose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1:22 PM

    Hey, you two! Just an FYI for Jean and Emily -- the Jazz cardigan was from an old Koigu leaflet that pre-dated the new book by some years. I'm not sure it's the same since I haven't seen the book yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some time, I have intended to re-read March Cost's "After the Festival." Now may be an appropriate time.
    I would love the Fireside Socks for Christmas. I have a feeling however, that you have plenty of potential family recipients.
    Judith, in Ontario.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:22 PM

    Jean, thanks very much for posting the pic of the VK #7 cover, the one that has the first KF pattern in it.

    I was the one who asked you for it. It's definitely not the same issue I had found, so there must have been a separate magazine in the USA. I'll have to keep looking.

    If you're interested, the US version is in ebay item # 250160750507. The listing was for Vogue Knitting Spring/Summer 1969 (on the left in the picture) and Spring/Summer 1968. It's listed on eBay.com, but if you copy and paste the listing number on eBay.co.uk, you should be able to pull up the listing.

    I've been enjoying your blog, and I wanted to congratulate you on your 50th anniversary, and on Sam the Ram. He's wonderful, and I was delighted to see that you gave him to the young boy (was he your grandson?) Toys should be played with.

    I am currently working on Kaffe's Yellow Star jacket, and I am also working out how to do his Brick Diamonds pullover jumper. I'm going to use a self-striping yarn for that, at a different gauge/tension, so I have to do a lot of figuring, but I like to think that I'm doing what he wanted knitters to do - be adventurous, and work things out for ourselves!

    Kind of like you, I think.

    Nan

    ReplyDelete