Tuesday, September 04, 2007

I began this morning’s session not here, but in Ravelry, adding some more stash. That’s the way things are going. I hope I have the stamina to see this project through. I have a sort-of inventory of yarn in an electronic copy of Lotus Organiser which I have been keeping for years. But my Ravelry list will be considerably more complete, and will have photos. It’s a great comfort, as a new yarn is added, to be told that 68 other people have it in their stashes, too.

As for actual knitting, I finished the third pattern repeat of the Princess centre, and have done two rows of the fourth. I like the way it’s looking. The comparative simplicity of the centre sits well with the elaborate border:


Non-knit

Somebody wrote to me the other day about Stephen King and “Lisey’s Story”. I can’t find the email or comment – so I hope you’re here this morning.

I was disappointed by Lisey’s Story, too, and glad at least that I had waited patiently for the paperback. At least I finished it, which doesn’t always happen. My favourite book of his is Firestarter. I have by no means read or attempted to read all. I also like Pet Sematary, the Shining, Cujo, Carrie, Misery. I don’t like the big fantastic ones.

But what I really, really like is/are two short stories that appeared in the New Yorker. I was sorry that I let the issues go, and delighted when I finally found them in a collection: “Everything’s Eventual”, Hodder & Stoughton, 2002. The stories are called “That Feeling, You Can Only Say What It Is in French” and “The Man in the Black Suit”.

Maybe, having got this far, I’ll re-read them today. I think perhaps the tight editing of the magazine was good for King, who can be awfully diffuse. Both of those stories concern his main themes, the sense of the something-awful that can happen at any moment, and sometimes does; and the sense that, in the end, everything may not be all right.

5 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm here this morning. Thanks for your comments about Stephen King - maybe I will try another one of his some day but not very soon. My goal for today is to finish My Name is Red by Orhan Pamuk.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've not read King for some time. Living here in Maine, though, and knowing many of the places he's written about does give one a particular sense of the sinister. I've also rather enjoyed Clive Barker, who has a good grasp on the mystical and its intersection with the mundane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your shawl is so beautiful. Just breath-taking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Princess is looking great Jean, I have been reading your comments but holding my tongue so I can do a more comprehensive version of the centre panel issues on my blog.

    King I love, I was recently in Maine and could think of nothing other than how Maine is probably a large part of where his idea's come from. The little towns are gorgeous but the wilderness really does seem like wilderness. Being near a big, big city here I get non of that feeling at home.

    I found Lisey's story the other day, as I was at a book sale a few weeks ago I passed it up. I am currently reading the story of Merlin and Arthur written by Mary Stewart, the Crystal cave. I am into fictional history right now, I have a Memoirs of Cleopatra patiently waiting on me too.

    I have read a lot of King though, the big one's, the small ones, but some I will never read, IT being one, a fear of clown's leaves me between a rock and a hard place with that. Jean I thought I had read Everything's eventual, but don't remember those two stories, I will have to go back over them.
    Colorado kid in a collection of shorts was a weird one.

    I am not much into fantasy, so was surprised to find I actually did enjoy the Tower series, I haven't completed it yet, but will one day I am sure.

    The shining was hard to read, visions of Jack Nicholson made it hard reading. I didn't stand a chance of reading that book pre movie, since I would just have been a wee whelp back then. I do remember my mom banning me from watching Salem's lot when I was teenie too, I obviously had a ghoulish side way back then, as I remember the great feeling I had later in life (almost as if I was acting up against Mom) when I finally got to see the movie!

    Anyway, SK is one of two writers I have been reading for more than half my life, the other is James Herbert, a British author also a tad ghoulish. I may wander from them for a while, but always come back ready to be spooked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't read any Steven King for years (I'm not into staying up at night being spooked anymore). But when I was still reading his books I read Night Shift a (his first?)collection of short stories, and I think he really shines in short fiction.

    ReplyDelete