Monday, August 03, 2009

I continue to crumble.

I did scarcely any knitting yesterday – tried the Vandyke edging, and fear it’s going to be too easy to lose one’s place in. Tried the Queen’s Lace Edging – it’s a good one, but perhaps too narrow. Add some faggoting along the straight edge?

I’m not sure I’m entirely happy knitting with Cashsilk. I can do it, but will I ever love doing it? Revert to Gossamer Merino?

Enjay, I don’t know what needles I’m using. Hopeless. I think the sample shewn yesterday is on a fine circular needle I bought in Beijing. (Means the Chinese must knit lace – I’d like to see some.) Currently, 2.25 mm with a good sharpish point, but I couldn’t say what brand. It is a subject well worth pursuing and forming conclusions about.

So I’m floundering about, people are rushing in and out and announcing their plans, I’ve got to start thinking hard about salads for Games Day, I want to get back to my vegetables. Helen and her family are in Strathardle now, and say that the mange tout peas have fallen down. They are very vigorous and I was already afraid I hadn’t hammered in the supports solidly enough. James and his family are arriving somewhere on Friday, coming from the US.

I sort of thought that once CT was behind me, I could float on down the river of life trailing my fingers in the water. It’s not working out like that.

Comments

“Scotch” and “Scots” (Mary Lou): you’re right about the distinction, but I suspect it is a modern one which earlier centuries didn’t fuss about so much. (Just as Jane Austen isn’t reliable on “imply” and “infer”.) “Scotch Corner”, anyway, is a place on the map, in England. The link is to a rather interesting Wikipedia entry.

GrannyPurple, I have seen the Nicholson Baker article in the New Yorker, indeed even cheated and read a few paragraphs. It’s in “the box” to go to Strathardle – that’s where we read the New Yorker, freed from the distractions of television and daily newspapers. I keenly look forward to reading it thoroughly.

Angel, it’s great to hear from you. I feared we’d lose touch after you left Oberlin. Do you have a new email address? (I can’t reply directly to comments.)

Gerri, that’s interesting about Lorna’s Laces yarn names. I think they have particularly good names, and I think it’s an important factor in selling hand-painted yarns. I liked “Andersonville” for its Civil War associations; didn’t know about Chicago. I wonder if Lorna’s Laces used Chicago names when Lorna Miser was running the show, or if this is something that’s developed since she sold the business on? It is certainly an instance of a selling-on which hasn’t resulted in a deterioration of the product.

No comments:

Post a Comment