Friday, March 22, 2013


Today’s excitement is to pick Archie up at school and take him to the airport, a job I greatly enjoy. He was worried a while ago about what would happen if  weather disrupted flights – the idea seemed close to absurd, for the end of March. But Leeds airport is closed this morning due to heavy snow. Edinburgh seems all right, judging from Arrivals and Departures as viewed on their website, but he will have only two hours in London to make a connection to Rome, so there’s not much room for anything to go wrong. The whole family is having a week's Roman holiday to celebrate 50th birthdays. Helen is already 50. David's birthday coincides with mine in the summer. 

I’ll go with him to check-in and get the woman to tell us what he should DO if he misses the flight. Bursting into tears, although guaranteed to be effective, is probably not an option. Rachel is ready to take him in if he has to spend the night in London.

I am sorry for my rudeness yesterday about the length of Deb Robson’s blog post. I have atoned, I hope, by ordering her book (from amazon.com – it doesn’t seem to be available here). She was, indeed, interesting on the subject of the shape of Shetland sheep tails.

Thanks for the help about Evernote, Mary Lou. I think I need to get Archie here for a weekend to upgrade the operating system on my iPad.  I think I’ve got an iPad 2 – I can’t look on the back to see because it’s wedged into a leatherette case. I don’t have a red light in my Settings panel. Alexander has a word game which he wants to play competitively with me. That, too, needs at least OS 5 so I have a double incentive.

Knitting

Today should see the first sleeve of the Relax finished. Then will come an interesting try-on. I hope to approach tomorrow in a sufficiently leisurely style to take a picture of it (and of the beautiful Pakokku sock yarn). The sleeve, knit more tightly than the body, actually looks a slightly different colour. Or at least, shade. Not unattractive.

Technology

We’re getting on fine with the controls to cable television. My husband wanted to watch the Archbishop of Canterbury being installed yesterday, but the BBC2 broadcast didn’t seem to be available in Scotland. Our new TiVo box has a search function. I laboriously typed in “Canterbury”, mobile-phone fashion, and there it was – on BBC HD.

And my husband continues to fare well with his Toshiba. His text vanished only twice yesterday in favour of a blank screen. Once, the text and the blank page turned out to be in separate windows. The other time, it was gone. How can that happen, without the program asking him if he wants to save? But at least it was still available on the list and could be re-loaded.

We’ll take the machine along to Loch Fyne for the Easter weekend. Alexander and Ketki have a wonderful long kitchen table at which all of life takes place, and a warm house permeated by wi-fi. My husband can learn to surf. 

8 comments:

  1. Some days I read your blog and I am convinced that you are in fact married to MY husband! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Roobeedoo's comment made me laugh. One day at HomeDepot (a giant DIY place) the cashier was chatting with me about my purchase, which turned into a story about her husband, and when I said it sounded as if we were married to the same man, she looked me in the eye and said "Honey, we are ALL married to the same man." Still smile when I remember that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roobeedoo's comment made me laugh too, but yours made me laugh the hardest. :-)

      Delete
    2. That's one to treasure, Mary Lou.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous12:59 PM

    I am enjoying your blog as a new reader. If you have a camera on your ipad both front and back, it's an ipad 2 or 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jean, to update your iPad go to Settings, General, Software Update. It will check for updates and then give you a spot to touch to Download and Install. It will do it all for you. I do wonder why you haven't been receiving the notifications that updates are available, I get little pop-ups on my screen about them and then the red number shows on my settings icon. I can't see where you would turn that off…anyway, I'm in the process up updating everything to OS 6.1.3 so you are a bit behind…of course, I'm updating as I check to tell you what to do. LOL

    I finally figured out that I had to join you as a follower in order to comment, I was wondering why I couldn't get my comments to publish here….I wonder how your spammers get theirs published…..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This doesn't sound right, Maureen. Anyone can comment. I get oceans of spam these days -- have I been deleting too hastily? I'm sorry you've had trouble.

      Delete
  5. Fingers crossed for Archie!

    I ditto Maureen's instructions for your iPad. Apple's OS updates are quite seamless and shouldn't take more than a few minutes to execute.

    ReplyDelete