Sunday, November 16, 2014

New Zealand won, as widely predicted, but we gave them a match. It was on a knife-edge until the last 10 minutes. I will be interested to see what the experts say.

And beyond that, I have very little to say, after yesterday's effusions. I couldn't knit lace and watch rugby, I doubt if anyone could, so I did a bit more on Archie's sweater, but not much. We then got thoroughly bogged down in a task my husband has to do occasionally, and always grumbles about, when he pops his various pills out of their packaging and puts them into little plastic, stacking boxes, one box for each day's pills.

I don't see why this should be so difficult, but he got in a thorough tangle last night. I think I must have him explain the task carefully to me and then take it over.

I looked again at the Synfonie exchangeable-needle package when I was in John lewis on Friday, but held off for the same reason that stopped me the last time I considered this solution, namely the fact that the package doesn't include the smaller needle sizes which are mostly the ones I use. (No wonder I never finish anything.) And, thanks to Archie, I've now got 4mm pretty thoroughly covered anyway.

Zite produced an interesting reference the other day to Caterpillar Green Yarns, who make a self-striping shawl yarn. That is, you can knit one of those triangular shawls that starts with a few stitches and gets bigger and bigger, and Caterpillar Green will ensure that your stripes are all the same size, with interesting gradations in colour. The Harlot has been knitting one. Surely the difficulty is (if it be a difficulty) that Caterpillar Green decides how big your shawl is to be – it would all have to be done with one ball of wool. But that's no worse than following a pattern.

Most of the colourways seem to be sold out at the moment, but they're taking pre-orders.


Franklin has a new blog entry up with Lion Brand. The eccentricities of this computer are now beyond imagining, and I have been unable to get the link for you. Googling will produce it easily. It's about the horrors of a Chicago winter, nd his own inability to look good in a hat.

10 comments:

  1. I have the Symfonie (Harmonie) interchangeable set, and regret the purchase to an extent, since the system isn't able to support the smallest needle sizes, which are the ones I want most - it would appear that the smallest tips that can fit in the metal bit that screws together is 3mm - that is the smallest I have been able to find. As it is I now have a little folder of tips suitable for chunky yarn, which are not likely to ever be used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:07 AM

    My mother's pharmacy used to put her pills in 'books' with the tablets already sorted, it was a free service, Apologies for being anonymous, I've forgotten my password - knitobsession

    ReplyDelete
  3. I follow your blog in my Zite feed and I am in awe at how much knitting you get done at your age. I am wondering, how do you do it? I am on the threshold of turning 50 and have such issues with my hands hurting from knitting, that I have to force myself to take days off, especially when knitting with bulkier yarns.
    I really enjoy reading your blog, wish I could hop the pond and help straighten out your computer. I love seeing pictures of your knitting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous11:15 PM

      Birgit, as a nearly-60'er I might suggest that Jean and I tend to stick with finer yarns, which can be easier on arthritic hands. Not that I can speak for Jean's hands(!), but I do find that mine hurt much more when I occasionally knit with bulkier weights.

      Judith in Ottawa

      Delete
  4. Anonymous2:33 PM

    As knitobsession says, tablets can be supplied in "Dosettes" with the tablets already in compartments. These are labelled for each day, subdivided into morning, noon, evening etc as appropriate. I Suggest you phone your GP and request this. Not sure if the pharmacist can do this off their own bat. It would make things much easier. Only problem then is getting the little seals off! :-)
    Hope this helps, Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a set of Hiya Hiya interchangeables in smaller sizes, with pointy tips and a long shaft/needle portion. I like them very much. They go down to a 2.75mm, that's the smallest I've seen in interchangeables. They come in bamboo as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's another vote for getting the pharmacy to put the pills into a blister pack. Not only would it save your husband the frustration of sorting his pills into the boxes, you would also know its been done properly.

    The only thing that stopped me from ordering that yarn from Caterpillar Green Yarns was the thought of Kate's new yoke book, which I want to dive right into once the Christmas knitting is off my needles. If only I could knit faster, all my problems would be solved. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, that should be it's not its.

      Delete
  7. =Tamar12:24 AM

    Opening blister packs always annoys me. But aren't there special "arthritic-hands" containers for people who don't have toddlers around and have difficulty with those supposedly childproof caps? Failing that, I think I'd put each lot of pills into its own Ziploc bag with a good clear label attached, as soon as they come in the house (or put the packaging in with them). Then the job of sorting them into daily batches might be smoother.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel certain that Boots could pre-package the medications into Blisters. One compartment for each time of day, 7 days to a Blister.
    In Canada, we pharmacists can do this at the request of the patient. I don't know if it would be the same in the UK or whether the MD would need to get involved.
    We do not charge for this service, but some stores do charge a nominal fee - say 2 to 5$ per set of monthly blisters.

    ReplyDelete