Thursday, November 19, 2015

Today is the actual 90th birthday.

Knitting moves forward, if slowly. I've finished the 23rd band of the Tokyo shawl, and have nearly finished the 24th, a small one. I'll go ahead and do band 25, and the first row of 26 as mentioned yesterday, before switching to the Dunfallandy blankie. There are only 29 bands altogether – not far to go. I can't remember how many percentage points I assign to each band for sidebar purposes.

There's going to be a Yarn Festival on Loch Ness next September. At the moment, no news seems to be available about teachers or market or what's actually going to happen. Ten months is not much time – they'd better get cracking. I've signed up to hear more.

Brooklyn Tweed have published an actual, physical book of patterns. I'm afraid I don't see the point. It is still possible to buy the patterns separately. The lookbook is as splendid as Jared's previous ones, if not more so. Why pay more and take up valuable shelf space?

Non-knit, or mostly

Here are pictures from our 90th birthday celebration last Sunday.

Me in my beautiful Socklady gloves:


The group:


Most of us look unwontedly cheerful. If you're interested, from left to right:

Rachel's husband Ed; Greek Helen in Carol Sunday's wonderful “Milano” kit, but I think the knitting owed something to the Relax pattern I had already done twice; Rachel; James's wife Cathy; our niece Clare, my husband's sister's daughter; our grandson Alistair, James' and Cathy's son – grandchildren weren't meant to be included, but a few drifted by; Alexander; another grandson, Helen's and David's son Fergus; and finally James.


Perdita you know.

18 comments:

  1. Have a happy day! I hope you are managing to keep the festivities going - 90 is really something to celebrate I think.

    Love the gloves - and the cat - and the knitting tales. I am envious of your productivity - I've hardly knitted this week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the pictures. Great to see everyone smiling. Even Perdita looks pretty happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday, wishing you many more years in good health and spirit. I'm looking forward to your posts, which are always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday, wishing you many more years in good health and spirit. I'm looking forward to your posts, which are always a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing those lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a happy day. I hope there are still some festivities, if quiet ones, for today. Nice that Perdita made it into the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous1:16 PM

    Happy birthday! Thank you for the Prepper link. Lots more to say but it would take HOURS. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous1:39 PM

    Great to see a pic of everyone.

    Happy birthday to Mr. Miles!

    Beverly in NJ

    ReplyDelete
  9. The gloves are wonderful, and look like a perfect fit. The picture of all of you celebrating your husband's birthday is also wonderful. It's nice to see everyone so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday! 90 is terrific:)! Celebrating it even better. Many happy returns of the day:)!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday! 90 is terrific:)! Celebrating it even better. Many happy returns of the day:)!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 90th Birthday Mr Miles! Lovely photo of you all and great to see the gloves.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hester from Atlanta9:26 PM

    Lovely pictures of a grand gathering. I am lettting the universe know I WANT T0 (NEED T0) G0 THE LOCH NESS KNITTING CAMP. Come on Nessie, do you part and help make the arrangements so I can go. Well, Nessie, Yogananda, Jesus and God!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous9:29 PM

    A very happy birthday to Mr. Miles and thank you for sharing the photos. Joe-in Wyoming

    ReplyDelete
  15. =Tamar9:37 PM

    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Many,many felicitations. 90 is such a brilliant achievement.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Many happy and healthy returns of the day to your husband. The family looks quite pleased to be together. I am also glad Perdita joined the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Perdita fits right in this wonderful family picture!

    ReplyDelete