Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Greek Helen is on her way back to Athens – much missed, already. She has probably reached the Alps by now.

And my husband was moved yesterday from his previously luxurious accommodation to Ward 15, a holding ward, open only during the winter, for people – mostly or entirely old people – who have no medical need to be in hospital and are waiting for care (like us) or places in residential homes, or whatever.

Presumably Ward 15 will press the care-providers to get him out soon, especially as it is scheduled for its annual closure in March. It is a wonderful, light place high up in an old part of the hospital, slightly suggestive of a set for “Call the Midwife”. My husband is in a room with two other old men, who seemed pleasantly welcoming. He was happy about the change yesterday, thinking it a real step forward towards getting home. Which, of course, it isn't, exactly.

As for knitting, I made good progress with the socks yesterday and might even reach the second heel flap today:


As you see, I prefer fraternal twins for such socks as these. I have been thinking that I might move on to my Knitcircus graduated sock-yarn next:


Obviously, with such colours, a young and adventurous recipient will be required. I have been considering the idea of knitting a pair of socks from opposite directions – starting one from the outside of the ball and the other from the inside. Too weird? I wouldn’t have to decide until the first sock was finished.


I didn’t get any Tokyo shawl done yesterday. The move to Ward 15 was All Too Much.

4 comments:

  1. Jean, I have a pair of Knit Circus Gradient Stripe socks in progress, have finished the first one and intend to knit the second from the other direction! So, either your idea isn't weird or we're both weird!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/8fad78fc-d3e7-11e5-8887-98e7feb46f27.html

    Link to the FT article

    ReplyDelete
  3. So glad your husband has accepted the move. My husband's step-mother, in similar circumstances, was actually moved at one o'clock in the morning to a holding bed on another ward. I did think that this was no way to treat an elderly patient.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the idea of a sock worked in either direction. I typically make fraternal twins myself.

    ReplyDelete