Friday, October 28, 2016

Anthony Bryer’s death

For this to be intelligible, you’ll need yesterday’s post, with comments.

Oh, Mary Lou, I was desperately impressed with your industry. But disappointed by that review in the Tablet – nothing there, to move a man towards marriage. But your zeal inspired my own, and I found this obituary of our friend’s father – in which the story appears, but this time he is said to have read the whole book on the Northwest Frontier, before writing to the author. That sounds much more plausible. The question remains, why did his brother or uncle send him the Tablet review? Because of a known interest in Shetland? or sailing? or herring fishing? More likely, I think, because the brother or uncle was slightly acquainted with Joan Grigsby and thought his brother or nephew should know her better.

I’ll certainly let you know my further thoughts when I get the book.

KayT, thank you for spotting the death announcement in today’s Times. He was so widely known, and so well loved, that the long obituary which I trust will follow in the Times and/or Telegraph will be worth cutting out and keeping. Let me know, anybody,  when you spot it.

Knitting

Yesterday went well. I lost count of Uncia rows – there are only six to go, and the endless twists and crosses are over in favour of yo’s and k2togs. I can manage them.  A Birmingham friend is coming to see me this morning, and we will undoubtedly spend our time mourning Bryer, so I may not get anything done before hospital visiting.


The Kaffe Fassett socks are nearing the end of the long preliminary ribbing for the first sock, and I got back to grips, somewhat, last night, with the half-brioche sweater. My first experience with full-brioche was a VKB sweater-dress in the 50’s for which the pattern, I feel sure, consisted of “k1, k1b” throughout. (I can’t remember what happened to the dress. Probably impossible droop.) I don’t entirely, yet, see why we need to have all these instructions these days about yo’s and knit-one-brioche.

2 comments:

  1. "a King's Regulation excusing spurs in flying machines" Such a sweetly-written obituary. I'm sorry for the loss of your friend Jean. I hope when you find his, it is just as lovely a eulogy. I think the k1b used to just mean knit in the row below, which was called fisherman's rib. Not the same as the yo brioche, and not nearly as droopy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brioche stitch, which is all the rage on the knitting blogs, was made all the more opaque with terms like 'bark stitch.' When I read about it in the old Book of Knitting Patterns by Mary Thomas, it was described as a simple lace stitch - knit 2 together, yarn over. And so my brioche hat began.

    ReplyDelete