Thursday, January 11, 2018

Here I am in Edinburgh. Tired, weak – but it was a very successful venture, thanks to Archie. The high points were “Cooking with the Duchess” and the cathedral of Monreale. You’ll hear all about it in the days to come. It will be more interesting, at least at first, if you love “Il Gattopardo” as I do. I sat next to Tancred at lunch and I can tell you that in old age – he is some months younger than I am – he retains presence and charm. And blue eyes.

There is little to report on the knitting front. I think I looked up Palermo at some point and found little. I gave no thought to the matter while we were there, and no LYS’s presented themselves as we walked about in the Historic Centre. I started a pair of socks for Archie with an Arne & Carlos self-patterning yarn. I've nearly reached the heel – and I knit gents’ socks big. The socks I turn out to be knitting are not those illustrated on the ball band, although obviously from the same stable.

One piece of news, though: I had sort of hoped for an episode of Fruity Knitting this week, but there is nothing. However, someone asked a question in the Ravelry group which produced an answer from Andrea revealing that she is going to take a class in pattern-writing at the EYF!

They were here last year, but that was before I had discovered them. This year, surely, they will be in the podcast room at some point, and I can admire them from afar, as I did Jared last year.


Tomorrow Archie and our niece C. and I are going to see “Three Billboards” on its opening day in the UK. We will represent the three ages of man.

15 comments:

  1. So nice to have you back and looking forward to details about your trip. Also eager to hear what you think of "Three Billboards." Reviews have been interesting to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:35 PM

    Welcome back! I too am curious about your experiences as I have booked a trip to Palermo (and some other places) in early May. Mosaics are priorities but Sicily really sounds terrific.
    LisaRR

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anne C. in Bethesda8:53 PM

    Welcome home! It sounds as though your trip was a success, I look forward to hearing more about it. I'm sure the kitties were glad of your return.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to have you safely back. I really did think this first post might have been written in Italian though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you check your email for the Christmas edition of Fruity Knitting for Patreons?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:39 PM

    Welcome back. Happy New Year. Best wishes for 2018.
    Helen (anon)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back and Happy 2018! So good to read your prose again.

    Best,
    S

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous12:47 PM

    Well hello world traveler (: and welcome home. What did the felines have to say about your return? Enjoy 'Three Billboards'. Would love to hear your opinion on it? Looking forward to your rested self's description of Palermo events.
    hugs,
    pgniotter

    ReplyDelete
  9. Welcome back! Can’t wait to read all about your adventures surely enough stories to brighten us in this dreary January. Hope the kitties are thrilled you are back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I add my voice to the welcome home chorus! I must say, without your posts to look forward to, my Feedly reading has suffered. You are the gateway. Best wishes for 2018!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous2:50 PM

    Welcome back, Jean! We really missed you. Looking forward to your Sicily posts. Chloe

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’m happy you are safely home. I’ve been looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ditto, ditto, ditto. I missed you greatly and imagined you and Archie having a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hooray. Sounds like it was a great trip. I must reread that book asap.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So glad to have you back, Jean! Can’t wait to hear about all your adventures!!

    ReplyDelete